Coach Steve Hazzelby praised the performance of prop Beltus Nonleh after his efforts helped the Sedgley Park bandwagon roll on with a hard-fought 38-20 victory at Rotherham last weekend.

In what was another toiugh encounter for the Tigers, Nonleh was named man-of-the-match by the hosts.

Hazzelby said: “This was a wonderful performance from all of the players and special mention to Beltus Nonleh who had a great game and was named man of the match by the hosts.

“It was a big challenge against Rotherham. We had beaten them 25-17 at home in October but we knew that this would a very hard game against a big, physical side who had recorded a big win against third-placed Hull Ionians the week before.”

Rotherham started strongly with a converted try within the first five minutes through their number nine, who dived over after solid driving play from their forwards.

Despite this, Sedgley kept possession well, building good phases within their half and testing their defences at every opportunity.

A lovely run down the right wing by Rhys Henderson saw big prop Nonleh drive into the hosts’ 22 and quick hands ended with flanker Connor James going over on the left for the visitors’ first try.

The strong wind made the conversion impossible but they were back in the game. Rotherham added two more penalties to extend their lead and the half ended 13-5 to the home side.

This was a hard half for the Tigers playing into the wind especially as they lost scrum-half Jacob Tansey with a shoulder injury and James with a dislocated ankle.

However, they knew the conditions would be in their favour in the second half and a second try came straight after the break when winger Henderson chased a clearance kick to beat the home defender to the touch down. Steve Collins added the conversion and then kicked a penalty in the 48th minute.

This was followed six minutes later with a great try for full-back Andy Riley after lovely phase play between backs and forwards. Collins added another penalty in the 59th minute and the Tigers were now 23-13 up going into the last 15 minutes.

Rotherham responded with a well-worked try on the right but a penalty on their 22 saw the Sedgley forwards catch-and-drive for hooker Danny Maher to touch down for a fourth and bonus-point try. Collins added the conversion and Sedgley were now 30-20 up going into the last 10 minutes. Another Collins penalty and a great breakaway try for Henderson down the right in the last minute saw them seal victory.

It kept the unbeaten run intact and Sedgley are still top of National Two North ahead of a home clash against old rivals Wharfedale on Saturday.