Sedgley Park saw their unblemished winning record in National Two North come to an end but they remain unbeaten after a 19-19 draw at closest rivals for promotion Fylde.

It was a tense game in front of a packed crowd and Tigers coach Steve Hazzelby says a draw was probably a fair result on the day.

It sees the Tigers remain six points clear of their hosts having played a game less.

Hazzelby said: “This was billed the game of the season so far with the two top teams in the league going against each other.

“They were unbeaten at home, just six points behind us, and we had beaten them 30-20 at our ground earlier in the season.

“It was a big crowd on the day, good conditions and a much-anticipated contest which could possibly have a big bearing on the final league places come the end of the season.

“It ended in a draw, which on reflection was the right result.

“We are still unbeaten and top of the league.”

Fylde started in typical fashion, running the ball from all over the place, keeping possession, looking to line break going through multi phases.

Sedgley’s defence was solid in keeping them out and it was only penalties that gave the hosts the territory to get in the visitors’ half.

The Tigers had hardly touched the ball in the first seven minutes but they were patient in their build-up and eventually, when they did get in the home side’s 22, good phase play moving the ball left and right saw second row Oscar Crowe crash through to score. Steve Collins added the conversion to make it 7-0.

It was a good half for Sedgley who played controlled rugby in the right areas of the field, testing the home team at every opportunity.

Their set-piece play was good with a solid scrum and an accurate lineout and in the 30th minute a lineout in the hosts’ 22 saw the Tigers catch and drive for hooker Danny Maher to score their second try.

At 12-0 up with 10 minutes of the half to go, Fylde kept pressing and good hands in Sedgley’s 22 saw the hosts’ number eight score their first try.

It was always going to be a close game between two well-drilled teams who have dominated the league all season and so it turned out as Fylde levelled the score in the 50th minute with a try for their left winger after sharp handling by their backs.

Then five minutes later Sedgley were looking to move the ball wide along their backline but it was spilled in the tackle, Fylde kicked through and gathered to score their third try and put them 19-12 in the lead.

The leaders seemed to lose their shape a little, giving too many penalties away which enabled Fylde to gain territory and possession in their half.

However, the sheer effort and energy of the players kept them in the game, breaking down every home attack.

And in the 60th minute, they got their third try when flanker George Bordhill went through four tackles to score in the left-hand corner. Collins added the difficult conversion to level the scores.

Both teams had penalties to win the game but it ended all square with Jon Blanchard voted the Tigers’ man of the match.

On Saturday, the Tigers visit Tynedale - a tough team who beat Fylde recently and Sedgley will need to raise their game to take the points.