Sedgley Park need just one win from their remaining two National Two North games to gain promotion to National One and Level Three rugby next year after a dominating 38-17 bonus-point win at Sheffield last Saturday.

And they could clinch top spot at home in front of their fans against Sheffield Tigers on Saturday week.

The home side had the best of the early stages but possession did not guarantee territory as Sedge power shone through and Sheffield were pushed back, even though they had the ball.

Once the Tigers gained possession they used it well and on seven minutes, number eight Tom Ailes finished a polished move to the right of the posts. Ollie Glasse, moving from centre to fly-half for the injured Steve Collins, added the extra two points from the conversion.

The visitors showed fine inter-play with reverse passes and weaving runs and were rewarded for their invention when hooker Danny Maher, looking more winger than front row, dived down in the right corner to extend the lead.

With five minutes to go before the break, another smart move from the league leaders saw full-back Andy Riley released on the left and he added five more points, with Glasse slotting the extra two.

Just as Sedgley were settling in for a relatively straightforward half-time talk, Sheffield winger Matt Adcock swerved around the Tigers backline to add five for the hosts, but Elliott Fisher missed with the kick.

It may have added a sour taste to what was a dominating first half but at 19-5 up at half time, the visitors were satisfied.

The second half was a more open affair. Sedge scored first on 49 minutes when winger Jamie Harrison broke down the left and secured the bonus point, Glasse adding the extras.

Four minutes later and the hosts fought back when full-back Christian Hooper finished off a nice move on the left, Fisher adding the extras.

However, within 10 minutes, and by the hour mark, the game was effectively over.

Harrison scored his second down the left flank, and shortly afterwards Alex Wills released Andy Riley for his second try of the game.

With 18 minutes remaining, the Tigers led 38-12 but Sheffield were not lying down.

Indeed, the hosts had their best period of the game and winger Kieran Hatter added five with 13 minutes left on the clock.

Shortly afterwards, Cash Chilvers was sin-binned for persistent offside as Sedgley were pressed back, and six minutes later the Tigers were down to 13 as Valu Tanē Bentley was also shown a yellow card for offside.

As the game was nearing its conclusion, less than two miles away Sheffield Tigers were hosting Sedgley Park’s only rivals for the title, Fylde.

A bonus-point win for the leaders and a defeat for Fylde would guarantee National One status next year for Sedgley Park.

Both games kicked off at 3pm and the latest score from the other game was Sheffield Tigers 23 Fylde 19.

The news got around the travelling support, and to the bench, but two tries in the final 12 minutes for Fylde and a final score of 33-30 dashed Sedge’s hopes of a title on the day.

However, it ensures it should be a fantastic atmosphere at Park Lane on Saturday, April 15 (2.30pm), where a win against Sheffield Tigers would guarantee that top spot.

Tigers: A Riley, Henderson, Bedlow, M Riley (c), Harrison, Glasse, Tansey, Blanchard, Maher, Nonleh, Birtwell, Crowe, Goodman, Bordill, Ailes. Replacements: Chilvers, Seriki, Black, Bentley, Wills.