The Rams left it late once again away at Longridge to steal all three points as goals from Harvey Whyte and Johnny Black were enough for the visitors to make it five unbeaten in the league, writes Will Place

Longridge started the game on the front foot being first to every ball and they went close to opening the scoring just six minutes in when Leighton Hewitt struck an effort towards goal from close range but Ryan Hamer was there to deny him.

The home side continued to dominate possession and they had Ramsbottom pinned in their own half. On 21 minutes Hamer was called into action again this time to make a wonderful save to deny Sam Olawumi who curled one from the edge of the box towards the top left corner.

The constant pressure from the hosts finally paid dividends for them a minute into stoppage time as Ryan Schofield snuck in at the back post to slot home a Harrison Kay corner. It was poor defending from the Rams and the ball should have never been able to trickle across the face of goal to the back post and this really left Steve Wilkes’ side with a mountain to climb in the second 45 minutes.

Rammy came out for the second half with a little more desire and hunger in their belly as they went in search of the equaliser. Whyte went extremely close to pulling his side level on 59 minutes when he curled one towards goal but the keeper made a fabulous save to deny him.

The away side became relentless and began to bombard the goal with effort after effort and it didn’t take long for one to pay off, as on 61 minutes the inform Whyte smashed a looping effort towards goal from 25 yards and the goalkeeper completely misread it and Rammy were level.

As the game progressed the visitors continued to apply the pressure in their quest for a winner. However, as the clock struck 90 it was looking ever less likely but, thanks to the referee having to go off the pitch with a sickness bug, there was an staggering nine minutes of stoppage time added on.

Just as the game looked to be done and dusted tricky winger Kuda Chingwaro managed to win his side a freekick around 20 yards out from goal just to the right-hand side of the penalty area. With exactly 99 minutes on the clock the Rams knew that this was definitely their last chance of grabbing a winner.

Whyte was the man over the ball, with crowd holding their breath hoping for a good delivery into the box, the attacking midfielder played a short free kick into the feet of Black. As the ball was rolled into the central defender you could hear he sighs ring around the ground. Then out of nowhere Black struck an absolute thunderbolt straight into the top corner of the goal giving Kier Barry absolutely no chance of reaching it. The Ramsbottom fans and staff roared with disbelief after what they had just witnessed. Rammy had done it again they’d taken all three points in the last minute of the game.

The last-gasp win will instil untold amounts of confidence heading into the FA Vase clash with Worsbrough BA on Sunday afternoon.

Ramsbottom United: Hamer, Collinge, Walder, Walker(Jackson 79mins), Radcliffe, Black, Gallagher(Lockett 76mins), Jenkins(Rigby 84mins), Ogunby, Whyte(Roscoe 90+10mins), Chingwaro. Sub not used: Ujahchuku