Sedgley Park’s impressive start to life in National League One continued with a 44-21 win at Birmingham Moseley last Saturday - taking them joint top after two games.

The victory on their first away day after promotion was another notable triumph against a Birmingham side experienced at the higher level and it delighted coach Steve Hazzelby.

He said; “It’s been a wonderful start to the new season in National One.

“The effort and commitment by the whole squad on a sweltering hot day was unbelievable.

“Birmingham Mosley had lost the week before but we knew this would be a huge challenge at their home ground in front of a big partisan crowd.

“We had prepared well in training and spirits were high after the great performance the week before against Richmond.

“Everyone gave their all but special mention to loose head prop, John Blanchard, who was the star man for his 80 minutes of unflinching play.”

Tigers started the game strongly, playing with pace and momentum and looking to move their big forwards around at every opportunity.

“A lovely line break from number eight, Tom Ailes, was finished off by flying winger Jamie Harrison, who touched down on the left. South African fly-half Warren Seals, who joined in the summer from Darlington Mowden Park, added the conversion and Sedgley were 7-0 up after eight minutes.

“Seven minutes later, Seals added a penalty to make it 10-0. and the visitors were now playing with confidence, testing the Moseley defence every time they had the ball, creating many line-breaks - some of which they possibly should have finished off.

“Moseley looked to hit back but an interception by full-back Andy Riley saw him sprint 80 metres and touch down to give Tigers their second try. Seals again added the difficult conversion to make it 17-0 with 15 minutes of the half to go.

The hosts did score with a well-worked driving try from their forwards, but Sedgley went into the break with a well-deserved 17-7 lead.

The Tigers started the second half just as well as the first and it was in the 49th minute that Seals added his second penalty to further extend the lead to 20-7.

Then came the moment of the match when captain Matt Riley came off the bench, ran onto a pop pass to dissect the Moseley defence and ran 50 metres to touch down in the bottom left-hand corner. Seals added the conversion and the visitors had a 27-7 lead going into the last 15 minutes.

Seals added his third penalty to further extend the lead and to leave the home team shell-shocked.

Moseley hit back with two converted tries of their own, but there was no stopping this Tigers team.

A fourth and bonus-point penalty try was awarded after Moseley had infringed on their line and the game was finished off by new prop Danny Rylance, who barged over to give Sedgley a fifth converted try as the he game finished with a well-deserved bonus-point win,

On Saturday, Tigers return home for an early table-topping clash against Rams who sit on the same points after also winning their two matches.