Sedgley Park suffered their heaviest defeat for almost a decade when they lost 67-15 at Rosslyn Park in National League One last weekend.

But coach Steve Hazzelby says it is a sign of the standard at the higher level the Tigers are now competing and while he felt the margin flattered the hosts, he admits the team will learn from the big loss.

Hazzelby said: “Rosslyn Park are an experienced team who have played in National One for many seasons and the Championship, so we knew that this would be a stern test.

“We had prepared well in the week leading up to the game and were looking forward to the challenge.

“However, none of us thought the end result would be a 67-15 win for the home side and the biggest defeat for the Tigers for almost 10 years.

“Make no mistake Rosslyn Park deserved the win, but the scoreline does not reflect the effort the players put in.

“We will learn many lessons from this defeat, especially on how stay in the fight and manage the game.”

On an artificial pitch, Sedgley started strongly, building phases in their 22 - and they were rewarded with a penalty after four minutes. Fly-half Warren Seals added the points to give them a 3-0 lead.

However, the hosts hit back with a try two minutes later after a strong run down the right by their number 15.

The Tigers responded with a lovely try for number eight, George Bordhill, who collected a little chip over from Oli Glasse to touch down near the posts. Sedgley were now 10-5 up after 10 minutes and testing the home team;s defence at every opportunity.

But unnecessary penalties gave the hosts position and territory from which they scored their second try after strong driving play through their forwards.

Another driving maul by Rosslyn Park’s big forwards in Sedgley’s five-metre line led to a penalty try being awarded, which was to prove crucial in the final outcome.

Hooker Danny Maher was sinned binned and it was during that 10-minute period the hosts went on to score two more tries and seal Sedgley’s fate.

Another try just before the break meant the visitors were 38-10 down looking to play catch-up rugby, with the hope of picking up bonus points.

The half-time score does not reflect the way they played in the first half because, for 25 minutes, they were well in the game at 12-10 down and competing in all areas.

However, the momentum shifted after the yellow card and energy levels seemed to drop significantly.

Despite the scoreline, the Tigers started the second half well - looking to take the game to the home team at every opportunity. They made a number of changes and the players coming on gave them a big boost.

However, the hosts scored first in the 41st minute and then an interception try seven minutes later put the game beyond reach.

Despite this, a well-worked catch-and-drive play by the visiting forwards gave Sedgley their second try in the 58th minute.

The home side went on to score another three tries, including another interception, which put any chance of the Tigers gaining a bonus point impossible.

Hazzelby added: “Special mention to wing forward Mark Goodman who time after time took the ball forward at pace.

“This Saturday we are at home to Somerset team, Taunton, and we know there has to be a massive improvement in our performance if we are to take the points.”