Sedgley Park head into a two-week break from National One action in fourth place and good spirits after an impressive 45-33 win on the road at Bishop’s Stortford last Saturday.

Coach Steve Hazzelby was pleased to see the Tigers build on the home win against Taunton Titans and also erase the memory of the last away outing - a defeat at Rosslyn Park.

Hazzelby said: “We were hoping to build on the previous win against Taunton with a good performance - and after the last away disappointment at Rosslyn Park.

“Despite the four-hour coach trip conditions on the day were excellent for open, fast rugby on a firm, dry pitch, and we put pressure on from the start, building phases and keeping possession well with driving play from the forwards and sharp handling through the backs.

“It was an excellent performance by the whole squad putting us in joint fourth place in the league, just two points behind second place.

“A special mention to second row Oscar Crowe, who put in a massive performance and was awarded man-of-the-match.”

Sedgley began well when a penalty after five minutes saw their forwards catch and drive a lineout for hooker Danny Maher to score, and fly-half Warren Seals added the conversion.

The home team hit back almost immediately with a converted try for their number nine after a sharp line break down the left but Sedgley continued to build phases well in their 22 and a little chip over by full-back Oli Glasse saw him collect his own kick to touch down under the posts and they led 14-7 after 15 minutes.

Again Bishop’s Stortford responded with a try through their big forwards to level the scores going into the last 20 minutes of the half.

The Tigers were playing some great rugby, varying play and creating good chances through a number of sharp line breaks - and another driven lineout close to the home side’s line was brought down illegally and Sedgley were awarded a penalty try to go back in the lead at 21-14.

Another surge into the home team’s 22 by dynamic flanker Lewis Bradley resulted in a fourth bonus-point score for prop Patreece Bell and Seals added his third conversion to make it 28-14.

The home team pulled it back deep into stoppage time to reduce the arrears to 28-21 at the halfway point.

Sedgley started the second half well, despite being a player down with Bob Birtwell sin-binned, and in the 47th minute another powerful drive by the forwards saw hooker Maher score his second and his team’s fifth try of the afternoon - Seals again adding the conversion to make it 35-21.

The Tigers coaches then rang the changes and the players who came off the bench gave them the energy and momentum to keep the pressure on the home team.

A penalty in the 52nd minute by Seals further extended the lead to 38-21 with the hosts now playing catch-up rugby.

A lovely grubber kick by Seals was collected by centre Nathan Pope, who kept the ball alive and three phases later, Crowe crashed over near the posts before Seals added another conversion.

With 15 minutes to go, it looked secure for Sedgley but the home side did manage to score twice within this period to get a losing bonus point.

But the day belonged to the impressive Tigers.

Sedgley Park’s next outing is at home to Leicester Lions on November 4 - the first of their charity games fundraising for the Sic Kids Charity.