A stunning first half display swept Prestwich Heys to victory over bogey side AFC Liverpool at Adie Moran Park on Saturday, writes Stephen Howard.

The Merseysiders had won eight of the previous ten games between the clubs including the last five, but here they were overrun by a dazzling display of football and some memorable goals as Heys extended their unbeaten run in the League to ten matches.

Heys kicked off with a much changed line up amidst a midfield injury crisis, with Pa Jenkins, signed from Ramsbottom, making his debut and long serving Danny White, casting aside his Coaching duties to don his boots in the middle of the park once again.

There was an urgency from the off about Heys play as they enjoyed the early possession to force a flurry of corners. However, the first talking point of the day came in the 9th minute when a breakaway attack ended with Tom Croughan putting in a shot that was blocked with the visitors making strong claims for a penalty which were waived aside by the referee.

It was to be as good as it got for the away side for a while as Heys clicked through the gears to take complete control. In the 14th minute Greg Daniels saw a shot blocked with the ball breaking to Connor Berry, whose follow up effort came off the post and out again.

Heys though didn’t have to long to wait to open the scoring as three minutes later they went ahead. Berry fed Daniels on the edge of the area, who then slipped a great pass in behind for Matt Davies who buried his shot into the bottom corner.

The goal was to prove the template for the afternoon as the Heys trio combined to dismantle the visitors. Five minutes passed before Heys added their second with a stunning strike from Berry. There seemed little on for him, but he worked a space for himself before unleashing a thunderbolt of a shot from 20 yards, into the top left corner, that beat the keeper all ends up.

Davies was next to threaten with a low drive from 25 yards going just wide as the hosts pulled their opponents this way and that with some fine football, finding its foundations in the midfield promptings of White and Jenkins and its magic in the trio of Berry, Davies and Daniels.

In the 34th minute they struck again with another great goal following a superb move involving White, Berry and Davies before Greg Daniels fired a shot into the far corner.

Heys continued to torment the Liverpool defence and two minutes before the break added a fourth goal. Another great build up, with Davies to the fore, including a step over dummy, released Daniels and he made no mistake in picking his spot from ten yards out.

The home crowd showed their appreciation as the sides left the field for the half time break after as fine a half as been seen on this ground for some time.

Would there be more of the same after the break? Well as so often happens, it was not to prove the case. On the restart the visitors came out looking determined to restore some of the damage. The first chance of the half came their way as Croughan found space in the box, but Heys keeper Jordan Hadlow saved at close range.

With Davies and Jenkins replaced by the hour mark, the spark of the first half was never quite there from Heys. Not, that they were totally without threat as Man of the Match Berry showed as he broke down the middle just after the hour before firing wide.

In the 70th minute substitute Ryley Smith saw a header from a tight angle come off the post for the home side before moments later seeing a shot blocked by the keeper as Heys looked for a fifth.

However, with all five substitutions used by the start of the final quarter, there was a feeling Heys felt their work was done.

The visitors looked to capitalise with Hadlow making a good low save to thwart Croughan and in the 86th minute their endeavour was rewarded as a superbly struck free kick by Tom Douglas flew into the bottom corner.

As the game went into added time Liverpool had a chance to make the final score line even more respectable as they were awarded a penalty. Douglas stepped up hoping for his second but Hadlow, presented with his Goalkeeper of the Month Award prior to kick off, was equal to the task to save from the spot for the fourth time this season.

The victory was Heys, as they moved up to fourth in the table and into the play off positions for the first time this season.

TEAM: Jordan Hadlow, Jacob Ngoy, Nathan Emery, Pa Jenkins, Jacob Ngoy, Aaron Chalmers (Capt.), Connor Berry, Daniel White, Greg Daniels, Matt Davies, Saidkhon Khamidov Subs: Regan Brown (for Ngoy 76 mins), Kai Haigh (for White 75 mins), Brad Sixsmith (for Jenkins 62 mins), Jack Coop (for Berry 68 mins), Ryley Smith (for Davies 54 mins),

Heys next fixture is away at Litherland Remyca on Tuesday, November 1 (7.45pm)