Radcliffe progress to the next round of the FA Trophy, after a penalty shoot-out victory at FC United, writes Kieran Wilson.

Anthony Johnson and Bernard Morley's side have booked their place in the second round of the FA Trophy, despite a comeback from the hosts which saw them come from two goals down to level the terms on the day, later remaining composed to dispatch all five penalties in the shootout.

Radcliffe controlled the first half, but FC United had the largest spells of possession. Jamie Morgan marked his return to the starting eleven with two goals inside the opening 30 minutes, both from within the six-yard area. The hosts had plenty of the ball but struggled to test Mateusz Hewelt's goal, the 'keepers only role in the first 45 was to collect crosses, which he did well.

FC United took control of large parts in the second half, and were able to score early in the 53rd minute to put the pressure on. Micheal Donohue then found an equaliser late on, with neither side capable on grabbing a winner in the 90 minutes, the match went to a penalty shootout.

Hewelt's stop in the penalty shootout proved key, as Charlie Oliver was the only man of the ten to miss from the spot. Evans, Joyce, Bange, Smith and Adams all found the target to make it a perfect five from 12 yards, and in doing so, put Radcliffe into the hat for the next round.

The home side had the first sight at goal as Max Cane won the ball high up the pitch, but Charlie Ennis was unable to test the gloves of Mateusz Hewelt as his shot trickled wide of the post. Radcliffe's first chance came when Hewelt launched the ball forward from a free kick which Jordan Hulme flicked on to Anthony Dudley, the attacker attempted to cut inside but was tackled, and the corner came to nothing.

Charlie Oliver picked up a yellow card for a late challenge on the near touchline in the 11th minute but Radcliffe could not create a chance from the free kick. Hulme stole the ball from a poor back pass with 15 minutes gone, but was unable to guide the ball into Pat Boyes' far post, the 'keeper doing well to block the chance with his legs.

Hulme looked set to open the scoring in the 19th minute once again, but instead opted to find Jamie Morgan, who made no mistake in putting Radcliffe a goal to the good as he poked home from close range.

Radcliffe should have doubled their lead inside 25 minutes, Jackson got on the end of Hulme's flick on and his ball into the 'corridor of uncertainty' just needed tapping into the home side's net.

Jamie Morgan would double the lead, and his tally for the afternoon on his return to the team as he put the ball in the back of the net after his first effort was blocked. Jackson did well to create the chance, first with an excellent sliding challenge on halfway to kickstart the attack, before he found a cross into the centre which Morgan dispatched at the second attempt.

The hosts responded well after Radcliffe's second goal and were able to get the ball in the box from a couple of free kicks, as well as a counter attack which was well controlled by Thornley, both chances failed to create any shots at goal.

Energised from the break, FC United started the second half the better of the two sides, and managed to pull a goal back as Max Cane met Dontai Gabidon's cross in the air to head home with force at the back post.

Any momentum either outfit had attempted to build was interrupted as Michael Donohue and Luke Joyce received treatment after a collision on the 60-minute mark. The second half continued onwards, FC United maintained their forward pressure on the Radcliffe defence, but failed to trouble Hewelt's net.

Second-half substitute Jay Fitzmartin came close to an equaliser in the 84th minute as he attempted to curl an effort into the far corner, but Hewelt was able to watch it wide of the post.

The hosts would get the equaliser minutes later through Micheal Donohue, the midfielder found time and space on the edge of the area and dragged his shot into the bottom corner after wrong-footing Hewelt, who could only watch the ball as it nestled inside of the post.

Seven minutes were added onto the 90, as the nerves spread around Broadhurst Park. Both sides attempted to score late on, but as Maynard headed the ball into the gloves of Pat Boyes from a corner, the referee blew to send the contest to penalties.

Mateusz Hewelt drew first blood in the shootout, guessing the right way to stop Charlie Oliver's penalty to give Radcliffe the advantage. Captain Nicky Adams stepped up to take the fifth penalty, and with little doubt in any mind on those in the Radcliffe camp, he stepped up to convert and send the Boro into the next round where they will travel to Farsley Celtic.