Sedgley Tigers returned to action after a two-week break with another home win in National League One against Leicester Lions on a day when skipper Matt Riley made history.

After some notable results since their own promotion last season, the Lions posed a big threat to the hosts but they overcame the hurdle to win 28-20 as Riley played a record 424th. game for the club.

And it was a victory that naturally pleased Sedgley coach Steve Hazzelby, who also praised Riley’s achievement.

He said: “They, like us, had gained promotion into National League one and had recorded some good wins especially against top team, Rams, the week before.

“This was a solid performance from all of the squad, especially after the two-week break.

“We won the collision battle, our line speed was excellent and our game management was spot on against a good team.

“Loose head prop, Jonny Blanchard, was immense and probably deserved man-of-the-match.

“However, the day went to our inspirational captain Matt Riley who on Saturday played his 424th game for the Tigers. - the highest for any player in the professional era both here and in France. What an unbelievable achievement.”

Leicester started strongly putting the home side under pressure in their half and it was from this they scored first. A charged-down kick gave them a lineout close to Sedgley’s line and it was from this they kept possession well and touched down under the posts.

The Tigers hit back almost immediately with a well-taken try for hooker Adam Mallinson after a powerful catch-and-drive from the forwards. Warren Seals added the conversion to level the scores.

Sedgley were playing good, controlled rugby, varying play between backs and forwards, and it was only unnecessary penalties from them that allowed Leicester to relieve the pressure and give them territory and possession.

A sharp line break from flanker Lewis Bradley took the hosts up to the Leicester 22 where the ball was moved quickly right for number eight, Tom Ailes, to burst through and score a second converted try to make it 14-7 after 20 minutes.

Another penalty for the Lions took play deep into Sedgley’s 22 and after a number of phases, building momentum, they eventually scored out wide on the right to reduce the lead to 14-12.

Sedgley lost fly-half Seals to the sin bin for 10 minutes, but managed to keep the visitors out. Indeed, a lovely penalty from full-back Oli Glasse from 38 metres saw them go into the break 17-12 up.

Playing down the hill in the second half, Sedgley scored first with a penalty from Seals.

Leicester looked to move the ball every time they got possession but Sedgley’s line speed and collisions were immense from all the players pushing them back 40 metres at a time.

The visitors got a penalty on 58 minutes but the Tigers replied with another penalty from Seals making it 23-15 going into the last 10 minutes.

Another huge defence set from the Tigers saw the Leicester ball turned over for scrum-half, Jacob Tansey, dive over in the bottom left-hand corner to give them their third try.

Leicester did score again deep into stoppage time, but the game ended 28-20 to the Tigers for a well-deserved four points and a sixth win of the campaign, putting them in fourth place, just two points behind Plymouth and Chinnor in second and six behind leaders Rams.

This Saturday, Sedgley make the trip north to Darlington Mowden Park.