Prestwich Heys progressed into the Third Round of the North West Counties League Macron Cup with a thrilling penalty shoot-out victory over Wythenshawe at Adie Moran Park on Tuesday night.

On a bitterly cold night both sides made light of a frost covered pitch to produce a rousing Cup tie that ebbed and flowed throughout. Both had chances in the game itself to win the tie but after 90 minutes they could not be separated after Greg Daniels twice struck from the penalty spot to level matters after Heys had twice fallen behind.

The shoot out itself also provided its fair share of drama before Heys prevailed 7-6.

As the game settled and both sides battled for superiority the visitors, who presently lead the Premier Division table, began to find some momentum and in the 20th minute they took the lead as Darryhl Mason broke down the right and put in a great cross for Bryan Ly to slot first time past Russ Saunders from 10 yards.

Heys were indebted to Saunders in the 32nd minute as he pulled off a double save as he dropped to keep Mason out, one on one and then as the ball broke he blocked Joe Bevan’s follow up effort on the line.

Not to outdone, Haslam preserved his sides lead in the 36th minute when Daniels played in Smith, but the stopper, for the third time of the evening, saved one on one

. As the sides emerged onto an almost white pitch it was Wythenshawe who threatened first from a set piece corner in the 55th minute which culminated in Saunders saving at full stretch from Bevan before Joel Aikenhead, on the follow up, saw his shot hit the outside of the post.

However, just after the hour Heys pulled level. A jinking run by Smith took him into the box before he was upended giving the referee an easy call for a penalty from which Daniels fired home into the top left corner.

The goal sparked a good spell from Heys and Smith sliced wide after some good interplay with Davies.

However, the Ammies restored their lead in the 73rd minute when from a free kick free kick across the face of the goal Ly’s ball was met by Aikenhead who steered it home at the far post.

Three minutes later Wythenshawe had a chance to wrap the game up when Mason fired a low ball across the six yard box from which Sajid Elhasssn hit the bar.

It was a let off Heys capitalised on as in the 82nd minute they levelled for a second time. Again, it was Smith breaking into the box, only to be brought down for a penalty and again it was Daniels who this time thumped the ball to Haslam’s right top corner to maintain his fine scoring form.

In a nervous finale, that flowed one way and then the other, neither side could capitalise to send the game to a shoot-out, and more drama which included two retaken penalties.

Daniels opened by holding his nerve to beat Haslam for a third time in the evening. Both teams scored their first two spot kicks before Kyle Jacobs hit the bar to give Wythenshawe the advantage.

Wythenshawe had the chance to win it with their fifth effort but Saunders saved and this time it counted to send it into sudden death.

And with the score at 7-6 in Heys favour, Wythenshawe blasted their next effort over the bar to send Heys through and give them a third round trip to Irlam.

Heys travel to Kendal Town on Saturday (3pm) before hosting Longridge Town on Tuesday (7.45pm).