Prestwich Heys returned to winning ways with a 3-1 victory over Longridge Town at Adie Moran Park on Tuesday night.

After the weekend defeat at the hands of Wythenshawe Town, which saw Heys drop out of the play off places, this was an important game to win and although they ultimately prevailed they didn’t have things all their own way.

The hosts made the perfect start, taking the lead in the 5th minute. From a corner the ball dropped to Harvey Roberts, who drove the ball into the box where Connor Martin reacted quickly to fire in a low shot on the turn for the opening goal.

Longridge drew level in the 20th minute. A great break down the left by Ryan McClean saw his centre take a deflection to loop into the path of Luke Smith, coming in at the far post and he had the easiest of chances in slotting home from close range.

Heys almost regained the lead from the restart when Martin broke into the box but he pulled his shot wide. However, there was a growing reassurance in the away sides play and it took a great save from Russ Saunders to deny Malick Tanou in the 24th minute as he burst through and then a slice of luck when Matthew Howson-Smith saw his follow up deflected wide.

Heys rode their luck again in the 35th minute as Saunders pulled off another great save to deny Anderton only for the ball to break to Tanou whose shot came off the post, before Scott Harries followed up with an effort that was cleared off the line.

Whatever was said in the dressing room during the interval had the desired effect as there was much more purpose about Heys play on the restart. Davies went close with an overhead kick before Martin then glanced a header wide from a Molloy corner as the home side set the pace.

Gabriel Mooney-Munoz came on for Connor Brotherton and Molloy was replaced by Dylan Fitzgerald just after the hour and the latter made an immediate impact. Receiving the ball on the left he turned the full back inside out before whipping a cross into the near post where Davies fired home with a first time shot to give Heys the lead.

Soon after Heys did increase their lead. A corner was whipped into the box by Roberts and it was Davies who got his head on it to divert the ball into the far corner.

In the closing moments Heys might have had a fourth when Davies teed up Fitzgerald but his shot beat the far post. However, their work was done and they could soon celebrate this hard earned victory that returned them into the play off places as the promotion race enters the final month.

Heys are due to host Charnock Richard tonight (Thursday) 7.45pm before travelling to Skelmersdale United on Saturday (3pm)