A 63rd-minute goal from Yasir Salim was enough to give bottom-placed Skelmersdale United a shock win against NWCFL Premier Division fifth-placed Prestwich Heys at a windswept Community Ground in Burscough on Saturday.

Heys went into the game in confident mood after a 3-1 win against Longridge Town the previous Tuesday, while the hosts were looking for an improvement after a 7-0 loss to Padiham.

The opening quarter was quiet as both teams battled with the wind on the 3G surface with just the one chance for Heys in the seventh minute from Gabriel Mooney-Munoz, his far-post effort comfortably saved by Skem keeper Joe Langford.

Prestwich were having the better of it and on 21 minutes Dylan Fitzgerald, on the left, hit a great ball over to Matt Davies whose 12-yard shot brought another save from Longford.

Fitzgerald found Davies again on 32 minutes, testing the Skem keeper and shortly after Nathan Emery, who had been dangerous down the left, found Fitzgerald who fired narrowly wide from 12 yards.

It was Heys looking much more likely to break the deadlock as the half-time whistle blew and eyebrows were raised from the travelling fans as the teams re-emerged for the second half with three substitutions and two of the replaced were Emery and Fitzgerald who had created a lot in the first period.

Heys showed no let up, though, as they dominated, Davies shooting wide from 12 yards on 55 minutes and shortly after it was one of the replacements, Connor Martin, putting Davies clean through, but keeper Longford came out to block the shot and Martin put the rebound wide.

It was Martin again on the hour who could not latch on to a ball in deep from the left and Brad Sullivan was unable to follow up.

Kieron Molloy was next up for the visitors, seeing a free-kick saved by Longford from 18 yards and it looked a matter of time before Heys would make the pressure pay.

So, it was a surprise on 63 minutes when Salim broke through and fired home from six yards past Heys keeper Russ Saunders to put Skelmersdale a goal up - the hosts’ first shot on target.

Back came Heys on 70 minutes, Molloy on the left again knocking a great ball over to Martin who just could not get his head on it to steer it home as the visitors’ frustration continued.

This gave the home side some confidence, but Heys rallied Sullivan was put through two minutes from time, but his effort was saved by Longford with his feet and Jack McConnell fired over shortly after.

A frustrating day for Heys in a game they dominated but they are still in a strong position to finish in the play-offs with games in hand on the teams around them.

They have two home games over the Easter weekend as they host Colne on Saturday (3pm) before welcoming Bury to Adie Moran Park on Easter Monday (3pm) in what is an sell-out.