FORGET England versus Brazil, the real Match of the Day on Saturday was played out at Gigg Lane.

Notts County, under the watchful eye of their director of football Sven Goran Erikkson, twice came from behind to secure a draw in a game that had virtually everything.

New loan signing Daniel Nardiello and Andy Morrell put the Shakers into a 2-0 lead within 18 minutes, but a Lee Hughes double levelled matters.

Bury might have taken the lead once again before half-time but for an amazing intervention from Mother Nature, when Nardiello's shot stopped dead in a puddle on the goalline, before Stephen Dawson and Matt Ritchie traded second half strikes to ensure the spoils were shared.

“It was a great game,” said Bury manager Alan Knill. “Everybody that was here saw a fantastic advert for this league.

“I think it was a decent point because it shows how far we have come. I look at their squad and, for us to compete as well as we have done, is a fantastic effort.

“It was a fantastic start to the game for us – we came out of the traps really well.”

Bury have found themselves dumped out of both the FA Cup and Johnstone's Paint Trophy in the last week because of poor starts, but they flew out of the blocks against the Magpies to leave their visitors shellshocked.

They were ahead after just eight minutes when a fantastic flick from Danny Racchi released Nardiello, who coolly rounded the keeper and slotted home.

Morrell served notice off his threat when he fired just wide, before finding the net five minutes later after a great pullback on the byline from Nardiello.

Knill's men were sitting pretty, but their free-spending opponents showed they have plenty of fight in them as a quickfire Hughes double restored parity.

First the former West Brom marksman was allowed to get on the end of Luke Rodgers' cross from the right, before he again slipped his marker to convert a centre from the left.

Bury should have been back in the lead five minutes before the interval, but Nardiello's effort somehow failed to cross the line after the impressive hitman had rounded Kasper Schmeichel and rolled the ball towards goal.

Schmeichel, watched by his father Peter, was having an impressive game and he made crucial stops from Racchi and Brian Barry-Murphy as Bury sought to ram home their superiority.

And it took a goal of the season contender from Dawson to beat the Notts County keeper, with the Bury midfielder smashing home from 25 yards to send the ground into raptures.

Notts have plenty of spirit to match their millions, and the warning signs were there for all to see as Jamie Clapham and Ritchie went close before the latter levelled matters for the final time.

Bury failed to clear their lines from Hughes' shot and Ritchie nipped in front of David Buchanan to fire home.

Wayne Brown made a fantastic stop from Hughes, before Racchi went close with a deflected shot, but a winning goal would have been cruel because both sides deserved to take something from a thoroughly enjoyable encounter.

Bury, who are now unbeaten in nine games in the league, now switch their attentions to a clash with last season's play-off conquerers Shrewsbury at The New Meadow next weekend.

BURY: Brown 7, Buchanan 7, Cresswell 6, Sodje 6, Newey 6, Racchi 7, Dawson 8, Barry-Murphy 8, Jones 8, Morrell 8, Nardiello 8. Subs not used: Scott, Futcher, Baker, Belford, Harrop, Dawson, McCarthy.

NOTTS COUNTY: Schmeichel 6, Maloney 7 (Thompson 90), Ritchie 7, Edwards 6, Lee 6, Ravenhill 6 (Westcarr 6 67), Bishop 8, Clapham 8, Rodgers 8 (Akinbiyi 6, 85), Hughes 8, Hunt 8. Subs not used: Hoult, Hamshaw, Hawley, Facey, Akinbiyi.

Attendance: 3,602 (632 Notts County fans)

Referee: Carl Sarginson (Staffs)