BURY slipped into League One’s bottom four after suffering a cruel 2-1 defeat at Blackpool.

The hosts led at half-time after a 38th-minute opener by Kelvin Mellor but, just as they did in Saturday’s 3-1 win against Bradford, Bury came up with a great response.

Jermaine Beckford equalised on 58 minutes as he claimed his eighth goal of the season – and sixth in seven games.

The Shakers were still on top when Curtis Tilt headed Blackpool back in front from a 73rd-minute corner.

And although substitute Jay O’Shea and Josh Laurent went close late on, Bury couldn’t claim the point they richly deserved against Lee Clark’s former club.

Former Bolton captain Jay Spearing, who had been training with Pool since being released by Wanderers in the summer, made his Tangerines debut in Saturday’s 1-1 draw at Walsall.

Despite being named on the bench last night, the ex-Whites midfielder was drafted into the Seasiders’ starting line-up after Jimmy Ryan was injured in the warm-up.

And Spearing was involved in the game’s first chance, rolling it to the edge of the Bury box, where Sean Longstaff’s low drive forced a decent save from Leo Fasan.

The Shakers had made one change, Harry Bunn coming in for the injured Chris Humphrey, and they soon began to impress.

Chris Maguire unleashed a 20-yard strike which was parried by Ryan Allsop before Beckford went close.

Allsop then stood and watched as Maguire’s 25-yard free-kick clipped the top of the Pool bar.

The hosts gradually got on top, though, as ex-Bury loanee Nathan Delfouneso switched wings with Mellor, in order to patrol the right flank.

Kyle Vassell’s flick soon found Delfouneso in the box and his low shot was saved by Fasan, with Phil Edwards hacking the loose ball clear.

But moments later Delfouneso played a perfectly-weighted ball into the left side of the Bury box for Longstaff to run on to and square for Mellor to tap home.

However, the Shakers replied with Bunn forcing Allsop to save at his near post and then it was all Bury at the start of the second half.

Callum Reilly latched onto a loose ball on the edge of the box and his shot was tipped over by Allsop.

Maguire and Eoghan O’Connell then went close before Bunn and Beckford were denied in quick succession.

And the pressure paid off as Bunn’s low cross found Beckford, who took a touch before stabbing the ball home and celebrating in front of the Bury fans.

Greg Leigh’s cross was then cleared off the line by Clark Robertson before Josh Laurent spurned a great chance as he side-footed over from 10 yards.

And that proved a crucial moment as Mellor’s low cross was turned behind shortly after. Andy Taylor’s inswinging corner found Tilt and his header was too strong for Fasan to keep out.