RAMSBOTTOM United failed to turn around their fortunes when they lost 4-2 at home to Mossley on Saturday.

A week which had tested the depth and strength of Mark Fell’s squad ended in a fourth consecutive defeat and meant the visitors, with only their second league win on the road this season, leapfrogged Rammy in the Evo-Stik North table.

The Rams had Lee Gaskell and Jon Robinson reunited in the forward line for the first time since they played in a league game at Matlock at the end of the 2014/15 season, but they found it difficult to break down a well-organised Mossley defence.

The Mossley players were out to impress new managers and began well. After controlling the majority of the contest, two goals in a four-minute spell stunned the Rams.

The opening goal was the result of a long pass which caught out the defence and saw Mossley striker Mike Fish latch onto the ball and stride towards the edge of the area before sending a low strike past Sam Ashton.

Shortly afterwards they doubled their advantage, keeping possession around the penalty box before an incisive pass found Andy Keogh, who rounded Ashton and slotted into an unguarded net.

Moments before half time the Rams created perhaps their best attacking moment of a disappointing first period when Luke Jordan turned his marker but fired over the bar.

It took just 30 seconds of the second half for Rammy’s first chance, Robinson headed on but his knock-down was blasted over the bar by Chris Rushworth.

As the hour mark approached the hosts halved the deficit when the ball was worked to Dean Stott on the edge of the area. His well-struck shot beat Callum Spencer for the Rammy captain’s first goal of the season to give the Rams hope of a fightback.

But that hope was dashed just two minutes later by Mossley’s third goal.

A cross to the far post was cleverly headed down by Fish, Jack Tuohy darting in to finish from close range and restore the two-goal advantage.

Dean produced a flash of brilliance to light up the encounter when the winger’s superb weaving run took him past three players before he unleashed a left-foot shot that beat Spencer but hit the post before being scrambled away.

An entertaining contest sparked into life again on 70 minutes, Jordan receiving an incisive pass from Robinson which took the youngster into the penalty area.

He fired in a powerful shot which flashed past Spencer and inside the post for the Morecambe loanee’s first goal for Rammy.

But once again Ramsbottom conceded a goal after reducing the arrears, Mossley sealing victory with the sixth and final goal of an action-packed afternoon. A right-wing cross was flicked on to the visitors’ skipper Thomas Dean who planted his header into the net to settle the contest.

Fell’s men had a chance to have the final say when a poor goal kick from Spencer fell at the feet of Robinson but the striker’s effort sailed wide of the target.

Rammy had also suffered a 2-0 defeat at Atherton Collieries in the quarter-finals of the Integro League Cup last Thursday night.

Colls took the lead on 13 minutes when Adam Farrell was first to react after Ashton had saved from Chris Lynch.

And Ben Hardcastle sealed victory three minutes from time when he charged through the defence and fizzed a shot past Ashton.

Rammy are at home in the league tonight, hosting Ossett Albion, kick off 7.45pm, and welcome Clitheroe on Saturday (3pm).

The match at Atherton Collieries, which was postponed on Easter Monday has been rearranged for Thursday, April 26.

Kick off is 7.45pm.