RAMSBOTTOM United got a busy final week of the season under way with a 3-2 defeat at Brighouse Town.

The Rams had won their final home match of the season 3-1 against Droylsden on Saturday but it was Brighouse who began Monday’s contest positively and almost took an early lead.

But, after Sam Ashton pulled off an excellent low save, Harry Foulds cleared up with a brilliant last-ditch tackle. 

Though finding it tough to get a foothold Rammy almost edged in front when Lee Gaskell’s header was cleared off the line, Luke Jordan sending his follow-up over the bar.

Brighouse deservedly edged in front when captain Adam Field headed in Dan Grimshaw’s corner.

Foulds again saved his side towards the end of the half with another superb block from a goal-bound effort.

In their best spell of the first half Gaskell sent a free kick narrowly wide and Jerome Wright had a decent shout for a penalty waved away but the Rams turned around 1-0 down.

The hosts doubled their lead shortly after the restart, Aaron Martin unchallenged as he directed a header into the bottom corner.

Ramsbottom gave themselves a lifeline when Jordan’s cross evaded Jon Robinson’s ambitious overhead kick and fell for Wright who drove past George Clarke to half the arrears.

The sides traded presentable chances, as Ashton saved a stinging effort and Robinson’s shot on the turn was blocked by Clarke’s legs.

Rammy’s improved second-half display saw them draw level from the penalty spot.

Tom Brooks surged into the area before being bundled to the ground and, after the referee pointed to the spot, Greg Daniels stepped up and confidently dispatched it for his 10th goal of the campaign.

After Daniels himself was wrestled to the ground by a defender the Rams were denied a second penalty.

And the sense of injustice was increased two minutes into stoppage time when home substitute Mohammed Ibrahim unleashed a vicious strike which Ashton got a hand to but could not prevent it going over the line.

Rammy visit Atherton Collieries tonight and round off the season at Glossop North End on Saturday.