RAMSBOTTOM United booked their place in the third round of the Buildbase FA Trophy with a sensational 3-1 replay victory over Southern League Premier promotion chasers Weymouth on a memorable night in Dorset.

Faced with a 550-mile round journey on a Tuesday night, Chris Willcock’s men produced the performance of the season to shock the hosts.

The visitors made just one change to the starting XI that drew 2-2 in Saturday’s first tie – the impressive Iyrwah Gooden coming in.

And it was the youngster who showed the Rams meant business in the first minute when he sprinted down the right and forced a good save from the Weymouth keeper Lloyd Thomas.

Gooden was again to the fore shortly afterwards as his shot was blocked and Eddie Moran’s fierce follow-up was driven straight at the keeper.

Rammy were in the ascendancy in the early stages but could have fallen behind when the returning Ben Thomson shot over when one-on-one with Sam Ashton when it seemed easier to find the net.

It was end-to-end stuff but the Rams were resolute in defence and Weymouth always looked dangerous going forward.

The deadlock was broken just past the half-hour mark when Tom Kennedy’s excellent cross deep in Weymouth territory saw Terras’ defender Sam Sherring head past his own keeper.

Parity was restored just two minutes later when Thomson was the beneficiary of some indifferent defending and, with Ashton sprinting out of his goal, Yemi Odubade’s cross found the forward who headed into an empty net.

The Rams had two more excellent chances before the half was completed. Gooden was released through the middle and beat two defenders but saw his shot rebound off the post and the follow-up sailed over. The Rams came again to force a point-blank save from Thomas.

Weymouth started the second half strongly but it was the Rams who regained the lead after 54 minutes.

Once again, it was an error from the keeper that caused the goal. Thomas came out to a loose ball and Ed Moran got the better of the bounce and lobbed the ball into the empty net to make it 2-1.

The home side continued to press with the highly dangerous Odubade cutting in from the right and bringing out a fine save from Ashton.

The home crowd was becoming restless, more so when man-of-the-match Odubade was substituted.

And they were starting to head for the exits with 10 minutes to go, when Jason Carey made the Terras pay for their defensive frailties and shot under the keeper to make it 3-1 to the visitors and set off wild scenes of celebration.

The Rams even missed a penalty in stoppage time after Gooden had been upended, Kennedy firing wide.

But it made no difference and the final whistle sparked joyous scenes as the lowest ranked team left in the competition celebrated sealing a home date with National League AFC Fylde on February 2.