After a long delay Bury finally played the eagerly awaited away match at FC Isle of Man coming out 2-0 winners on Sunday morning, writes James Beedie.

Fog over the Isle of Man airport on Saturday morning had scuppered the team flight as well as a number of fans flying to the Isle of Man on the day who had to turn back home. After a long day of confusion, rumour and disappointment for those fans who were already in Douglas the news came out that the match would be played at 11am the following morning.

The team made the second crossing at 7am on Sunday morning without incident. They were without the suspended Charlie Doyle and the injured pair of Connor Comber and Tom Moore, though the Bury captain did make the crossing.

Unlike the Bury team the Isle of Man side were well rested and well prepared for the bout and put Bury on their heels early doors testing the Shakers with a couple of early free kicks. One header from Sean Doyle just cleared Harry Wright’s crossbar, the beleaguered legion of Bury fans who had been on the island for days might have feared a nightmare end to their difficult journey.

Bury began to find their feet as the first half progressed, Dec Daniels pounced on a botched back pass but Ravens keeper Bentley Wilkinson was sharp enough to beat him to the ball and keep hold of it. A deep free kick nearly found Arthur Lomax-Jones at far post but the ball was deflected out for corner before the full back could get to it.

The first half passed with both sides having spells of possession without being able to create much in front of goal. On Bury’s part possession was lost all too easy with long balls forward that went far beyond the reach of the forward line. At the other end the Ravens could have taken the lead when home full back early connected with a free kick, Harry Wright gladly caught the ball instead. Through much of the half a war of words – and also elbows – were exchanged between Ravens forward Sean Doyle and the Bury backline

The two teams went in at the break with the scoreline remaining goalless. Bury knew that they could play better than this and made sure they could prove in the next period.

The second half started strongly for the Shakers, Jacob Holland-Wilkinson sent in a cross to Dec Daniels who saw a deflected shot bounce just wide of the post.

Bury took the lead not long afterwards, Daniels this time fed the ball to strike partner Sam Burns who broke into the Isle of Man penalty area before being upended by home goalkeeper Ben Wilkinson. The referee pointed to the spot and Burns took the effort himself. Though Wilkinson went the right way Burns’ placement was good enough to beat the Ravens stopper and give Bury the lead to the delight of the Bury fans congregating behind the goal at that end.

Burns proved to be the most effective of Bury’s forwards creating another chance for himself soon afterwards. Running straight at the Ravens defence he broke through into the penalty area again only to be squeezed out at the last moment before he could take a shot. Later on he had another chance from a defensive mixup but fired over then fired just wide with an ambitious lob.

There were chances for other Bury players as well, Benito Lowe had a shot from a tight angle well saved by Wilkinson, Dec Daniels had a shot from from point blank range saved by the busy home keeper as well. Burns then set up Billy Reeves but the midfielder couldn’t take a shot.

Bury pressure throughout the second half finally reaped their reward with Burns again scoring. Oli Kilener sent a long ball that fell perfectly for Burns, he caught Wilkinson out of his goal and lifted a beautiful shot beyond the last defender and into the back of the net. It was the forwards fifth Bury goal, though remarkably this was his first from open play.

Burns could have completed his hat-trick with a low shot to the bottom corner well saved by Wilkinson but the match was well won with the hosts long since reduced to long range efforts flung at goal in hope rather than expectation, Wright kept another clean sheet for his growing collection.

Full time sounded on a bizarre and frustrating weekend for all at Bury Football Club. The win was the perfect cathartic remedy as Bury returned to the top of table once more. Happily a long run of home matches await the Shakers who will relish staying much closer to home for the rest of the season.